Our innovative driver assist technology.
INTELLIGENT COLLISION AVOIDANCE
Avoiding a collision in the first place is the best way to say safe. SUBARU EyeSight technology allows a vehicle to make sense of its surroundings. EyeSight is a two camera, stereo imaging system mounted either side of the rear view mirror. Capturing high resolution 3D colour images and processing them in real-time, EyeSight detects and interprets its environment on the move up to 110 metres ahead, offering greater accuracy than other camera and sensor technologies.
EYESIGHT RECOGNISES SPECIFIC OBJECTS AND HAZARDS
EyeSight accurately tracks things like vehicles, motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians. It can even understand lane markers on the tarmac. Should EyeSight detect a potential collision risk, the system quickly gives you audible/visual warnings and driving assistance. EyeSight comprises six safety systems that, where necessary, provide warnings and collision avoidance assistance as events unfold:
• Adaptive Cruise Control: on motorways and similar roads, let the system automatically adjust your speed to keep a set distance from the vehicle ahead. By constantly monitoring distance and speed, it adjusts the engine, transmission and brakes to maintain speed in line with the traffic flow.
• Lead Vehicle Start Alert: in stationary traffic, should you fail to notice that vehicles in front have started to move again, a buzzer and flashing indicator will prompt you to proceed.
• Lane Sway and Departure Warning: if you begin to swerve in your lane, or you begin to depart your lane without signalling, you’ll get a buzzer and a flashing indicator warning.
• Lane Keep Assist: if your vehicle is about to deviate from its lane at approximately 40mph or above, the system will offer gentle corrective steering control.
• Pre-collision Braking System: should EyeSight sense an impending collision, a buzzer and a light on the dashboard warn you. If you don’t take evasive action, the system can automatically apply the brakes and reduce engine power - either preventing the collision entirely, or reducing the severity depending on your speed. If you apply the brakes, but not hard enough, EyeSight applies more braking force to stop the vehicle.
• Pre-collision Throttle Management: should EyeSight detect an obstacle in front whilst parked, and you put the vehicle in drive instead of reverse, you’ll hear several short beeps, see a flashing indicator and the engine will cut to help you avoid a collision.
ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL
Unlike conventional cruise control, EyeSight doesn’t just maintain the speed you set. When it senses a vehicle in front, Adaptive Cruise Control moderates your progress to maintain a set distance apart. Monitoring both distance and differences in speed, the system adjusts the engine, transmission and braking to match the traffic flow. Designed for use on motorways and similar roads, Adaptive Cruise Control even monitors the brake lamps of the vehicle in front. The car can reflect stop-and-go motorway traffic conditions for you, reducing stress on long drives.
LANE SWAY AND DEPARTURE WARNING
If you start getting tired or distracted and start wandering or drifting in a lane at speeds of over 37 mph, a Lane Sway Warning triggers a buzzer and a flashing indicator to make you aware you are in danger. If your speed is lower, at 31 mph or more, and you begin to drift and change your lane without signalling, the Lane Departure Warning warns you in the same way.
Lead Vehicle Start Alert: When you’re waiting in stationary traffic, it’s easy to become distracted. If EyeSight senses that vehicles in front have started moving again but you haven’t, a buzzer and a flashing indicator prompt you to move off.
PRE-COLLISION THROTTLE MANAGEMENT AND STEERING ASSIST
We can all make mistakes. Should you accidentally engage forward drive, instead of reverse, EyeSight has your back. If an obstacle is detected in front of the car, the Pre-collision Throttle Management system sounds several short beeps, turns on a flashing indicator and cuts the engine output to help avoid a collision. If EyeSight detects a potential frontal impact, Pre-collision Steering Assist helps you turn sharply to take avoiding action.
BRAKING BEFORE COLLISIONS
If you’re about to collide, and should brake immediately, Subaru’s pre-collision braking system will warn you. A buzzer sounds with a visual dashboard alert. If you don’t take evasive action, the system can automatically apply the brakes to reduce any impact, or if possible, prevent the collision. If you can take evasive action, the system applies pre-collision braking assistance for emergency deceleration. We can’t prevent every collision. But we’ll do everything we can to help you avoid one.
Some features not available on all models. Please check model specification.*1. EyeSight is a driving support system which may not operate optimally under all driving conditions. The driver is always responsible for safe and attentive driving and observance of traffic regulations. See Owner’s Manual for complete details on system operation and limitations.*2. As EyeSight can detect only objects of more than 1 metre above the ground, children measuring less than 1 metre in height are not sensed. There may be cases when detection is not possible depending on a variety of conditions.*3. Pre-collision Braking System may not work in all situations. Depending on the speed difference from objects, the object’s height and other conditions, every situation may not meet the necessary conditions for EyeSight to work optimally.